Thursday, March 1, 2012

Indoor Outdoor Garden Almost Ready

Last week I was writing about getting set up to grow my own food and hoped I would be setting up soil, planters, starting seeds, etc., by now.

As it turns out, things are more complicated for me than I thought, so I haven't gotten any seeds started yet. I expected to have seeds in the soil last weekend but am delayed an extra week. The delay is just minor. I'm getting more ordinary items ready to be growing beds, pots, containers for growing seeds.

I just watched a local news item this week which showed a lady in my city who has made a hydroponics set up out of everyday household items - POP BOTTLES! She has set things up for growing organic food in her home to beat rising food costs as well as beat all the preservatives and garbage that is allowed in our store-bought food. Clever, clever, lady! I will not be setting up hydroponics in my place but watching the news clip (luckily it was aired several times this week) made me slap my own forehead because I never thought about using some of the CHEAP containers shown on the news clip.



Had I not stopped to watch, I really would have had my garden started by now but I would be lighter in my pockets.

Voila... by stalling/delaying the planting of my stuff, watching the news and this story a few times, I'm going to save myself a LOT of cash. After watching, I did more Spring Cleaning and found a LOT of things that will act as planters. I think I can safely say I only need seeds and soil from the store now. In doing some Spring Cleaning, I found small shelves I can use to put containers outside then bring them in again if it happens to SNOW again (in my area of the world, we've had snow during every single month of the year... it just happens). I found dented pots (used to use these for camping) I can put soil and seeds in, some large and small baskets I was going to throw out (which will now become planters). It was silly for me to worry about spending money for my food growing project!

I have a back yard area that ends up shaded by the house for much of the day. My neighbours have front-yard access and more sun, so I have found a small dolly and have rigged up some baskets already for use with the dolly. I will now be able to haul my plant baskets quite easily out to the front yard so they can experience more sun. I might have to reload the baskets 3- 5 times but it will be worth it!

Okay - so I was delayed in actual planting but I used the time delay wisely this week, still on track for my food growing project! I was really starting to wonder about what types of vegetables to grow from my (often shaded) backyard area but now I don't have to worry and will plant whatever I want. Plants that need more sun are going to GET MORE SUN this year!

As well, I got into learning about SOLAR OVENS this week and intend on making one, myself, asap!



Tomorrow - off I'll go to get soil and seeds - and heavy foil for building my solar oven!

moi~

No comments:

Post a Comment