Monday, February 20, 2012

Beginning of Being Prepared

Times are a-changing - for the worse in many places - so I started getting interested in getting prepared for unforseen circumstances.

I suppose I shouldn't say literally UNFORSEEN circumstances - at least not in North America - because what we are seeing in N. American politics, military, etc., in the content of movies, music, in our social constructions and society, in general - isn't unforseen at all.

For years many wise men and women have been warning us about the negative aspects of materialism, consumerism and similar topics. Yes, I view videos from the likes of Jim Marrs, Alex Jones, David Icke... and even if their worst case scenarios aren't ever going to happen, I don't think we should be ignoring or making fun of these people. In the least, they have pushed forward against the mainstream, making ripples, bringing up questions and topics we'd better start thinking and talking about!

Eventually, I suppose, this blog will turn into a conglomerate of off-shoot topics - survivalist, current events, conspiracy theory possibilities, but for right now, Spring is nearly here in North American regions of the world, so I'm going to be reading up on, learning about, and engaging in some gardening/food production projects.



It's amazing to me (maybe because I'm not that young) that living in an urban area now (I grew up in a rural location), I find so few people who grow their own food. I don't live in an urban area that is considered over-populated at all, either - but I am still surprised that most city-dwellers who do maintain their yards are primarily bent on having nice grass and then keeping stray dogs, cats, and kids off their lawns!

I use public transit most of the time and so I'm walking past yard after yard after yard... I'm surely not trying to be a peeper here but I do glance into my neighbours' yards and into yards on the next block, all the way to the bus stop. What I see mostly are grass and some flowers in the front yards and very few greenhouses or gardens at the backs of houses. I must say there are a LOT of nice lawns in my area.

I can only conclude that, in general, people in my district are pretty much all buying food from stores year-round - and I'm not going to place a harsh judgement on that, however, I must say I'm worried that in my particular region of the country, we seem to have very little frugality or care for the resources that are right in front of us.



My plan for this year, this Spring (just a few short weeks away) is to start growing some of my own food and to use buckets and such so that I can bring at least a little bit of my gardening inside once the weather turns cold again. I figure that once I start, I'll have about 6 months to get things right with the plants, figure out which plants I am good at growing.

As well, I am a low-income urban resident of my city, so if I can keep some things growing in containers after the summer months, I'll be doing myself a huge favour by creating a dent in my winter grocery lists! In my estimation, it will take me a few YEARS to properly learn some useful survival skills in case of freak weather events, political events or societal upheavals... so I decided I should learn about food, growing, storing, etc, as a first project here.



I started learning a little bit about hanging pots for gardening prior to this winter. I purchased a couple of hanging bags/potting units as winter was almost upon my region, when the prices of gardening items went on sale. I've had a good look at how the pieces are made and won't have to purchase anything fancy as Spring rolls around. I've asked some friends for large buckets and I'm just waiting for some funds so I can purchase seeds and soil to get started. Oh - as well, I'll wait for the snow to clear before getting into high gear with things.

Here's one of the videos I've been paying attention to from a you tube user:




My idea is that when the SHTF I'll still have some tomato, lettuce, radish and other veggies around so I'll make us up a salad while we're figuring out the rest of our survival tactics! :)



BTW, I've been viewing all the Haters' comments under you tube vids for people who are displaying "Survival tips" videos so I am not looking forward to that kind of response to my blog. I'll just stay anonymous for the time being if that's all right with readers. I'll just call myself moi for now.

moi~~

No comments:

Post a Comment